Sunday, March 31, 2013

Maize Loop - JTNP

I've had the opportunity to explore most of the marked trails in Joshua Tree National Park over the past several months, simply by looking them up in my guidebook, and setting off on the trails.  One trail I hadn't explored until last weekend, was Maize Loop.

I didn't even realize that this trail existed, until my new trail running partner (who is a converted hiker, you're welcome) told me about it and asked if I wanted to run it and check it out.  Of course I was down for it, so off we went.  It turned out to be a pretty nice trail, very runnable, with some rolling climbs and descents.  As always seems to happen, it turned into more of a "scrunbling" trip (to steal Tony Krupicka's phrase), but that's ok, because on these adventures I'm never too concerned with time or distance; just the experience.

I took plenty of photos on the trip, as always, in an attempt to capture the beauty that is the high desert area surrounding where I live.  Enjoy!



Maxwell tearin' it up on some desert single track

Not sure what it is, but it was cool looking!

Look, over there!

Looking toward the Wonderland of Rocks.


I never get pics of myself...until now.

A rare sight...baby desert tortoise on the trail.  We hung out to make sure no one stepped on him and he made it safely off the trail.
Not a bad trip overall, and a new great place to run.  I highly recommend you check it out if you get the chance.

In the meantime...Keep Running!


No comments:

Post a Comment